In the Year of the Teacher and Mentor, the Ministry of Education of Russia is implementing a large-scale project abroad to create a network of centers for open education in Russian and teaching the Russian language. The delegation of Xinjiang University was met by the NSPU Rector Alexey Dmitrievich Gerasyov, NSPU Vice-rector for Science Boris Olegovich Mayer, NSPU Head of the Department of International Affairs and Academic Mobility Ekaterina Igorevna Barancheeva, Director of the Institute of Philology, Mass Information and Psychology Elena Yurievna Bulygina, Deputy Director of the Institute of Philology, Mass Information and Psychology Elena Gennadievna Basalaeva, Director of the Institute of Physics, Mathematics, Information and Technological Education Roman Vladimirovich Kamenev, Director of the Institute of Natural and Socio-Economic Sciences Natalya Valerievna Kandalintseva and Director of the Institute of Arts Vitaly Sergeevich Elagin.
In his opening speech, the NSPU rector Alexey Dmitrievich Gerasyov emphasized the importance of cooperation with China for students and teachers of our university. Over the past two decades, Novosibirsk State Pedagogical University has been actively developing international cooperation, and China is one of the first NSPU foreign partners with numerous contacts all over the country.
As part of international agreements, in 2009, NSPU and Xinjiang University signed a cooperation agreement, and since then the two universities have been actively working on yearly internships organized for Chinese students under the “Philology for Foreign Students” program. The Novosibirsk university also teaches Bachelor’s, Master’s, and postgraduate students from the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region. Moreover, the Chinese and Russian students and teachers regularly participate in joint international scientific and practical conferences and publish research in each other’s publications.
- The President of our country, Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin, and the Government of the Russian Federation are making great efforts to support and promote the Russian language abroad. There is a state program to do this job, and Russian pedagogical universities play an important role in implementing this program. Having a considerable experience in cooperation, the scientific and methodological potential of NSPU in teaching the Russian language, we would like to expand our interaction with Xinjiang University and open a Center for Open Education in Russian and Russian Language Teaching at Xinjiang University. We are also ready to make additional efforts to develop Chinese language teaching at the Novosibirsk State Pedagogical University. Every year, dozens of our students enroll in educational programs to study the Chinese language, and the demand for such educational programs is constantly growing, - noted the NSPU Rector Alexey Dmitrievich Gerasyov.
Speaking about the purpose of the visit, Deputy Chairman of the Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference, Secretary of the Party Committee of Xinjiang University Xu XianYi emphasized deep and friendly relations between the two universities that have been developed during many years of cooperation. As a special purpose of the visit, the Head of the Chinese delegation considers the opportunity to take cooperation to a higher level:
- In addition to strengthening cooperation in teaching the Russian language and literature, we can also facilitate scientific research and cooperate in the exchange programs for students and teachers in other disciplines, such as Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics. We are interested in expanding academic exchanges and cooperation in various areas of scientific research. Joint work will improve the quality of personnel training. Today, as the world is witnessing unprecedented changes and a difficult international situation, we deeply value our friendship with old friends and attach importance to cooperation with our partners, - said Xu XianYi, Deputy Chairman of the Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference and Secretary of the Xinjiang University Party Committee.
After the official meeting, the Chinese delegates divided into two groups: one part participated in a detailed discussion of educational projects and prospects of further cooperation with the heads of NSPU educational departments. The rest went on a tour of the new educational spaces of the university. Currently, a group of students from Xinjiang University is studying at NSPU. Talking about the students’ academic achievements, the NSPU Rector Alexey Dmitrievich Gerasyov told Xu XianYi, Secretary of the Party Committee of Xinjiang University, that Novosibirsk teachers can easily notice their responsible attitude and determination in their studies. The Chinese delegation also visited the Room of Valuable and Rare books in the NSPU library and the exhibition of the Institute of Arts. Leaving words of gratitude in the visitor book, the Guest of Honor Xu XianYi wished NSPU prosperity. A return visit to the Celestial Empire by the NSPU delegation is planned in October this year as part of the opening of the Center for Open Education in Russian and Russian Language Teaching at Xinjiang University.
Xinjiang University has 37,350 students including 22,360 undergraduate students, 13,790 Master's students, 1,095 Doctoral students and 105 international students.
The Xinjiang University delegation includes:
· Xu XianYi, Deputy Chairman of the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference, Secretary of the Party Committee of Xinjiang University;
· Liu JianJun, Deputy Head of the Office of Xinjiang University;
· Li Pu, Director of the Institute of International Cultural Exchange, ex-director of the Institute of Chinese Language and Literature;
· Lu QingMei, Deputy Head of International Exchanges and Cooperation, Xinjiang University;
· Zhou JianXing, Deputy Head of Science and Technology Department;
· Bi XinHui, Associate professor at the Institute of Foreign Languages at Xinjiang University, the Chinese Head of the project “Confucius Institute of NSU”;
· Wu ZanLe, Chinese language teacher at Xinjiang University.